Monday, October 17, 2011

Lentil.

School has been going well-but I realize that for some subject, mainly science, that although we are "doing" experiments and activities, we don't have anything to show for it at the end of the day (except hopefully more knowledge:). I have a good friend who's homeschooling, and posted pictures of what they had done...so "duh", I'll just photograph what we do. This way I can remember, and it's evidence that I'm teaching my kids!

We are doing a curriculum called Five in a Row, where you read a picture book each day, then each day there is a different lesson in either Art, Math, Science, Language Arts, or Social Studies. A few weeks ago we read Lentil by Robert McCloskey-great book, and Nathan liked it because in it a boy named Lentil learns to play the harmonica.

Lentil's favorite place to play: the bathtub!

So, for one experiment we practiced playing our harmonicas in the bedroom where there was carpet, curtains, bedding, etc. then played in the bathtub to see if the acoustics were "improved 100%" (as Lentil stated in the book). We talked a little about what acoustics are an why the sound was improved. Mainly it was just fun to play in the tub:)






In Lentil there are also sour lemons...so we talked about our tastebuds, how we taste different things, and where we taste different flavors. Ella was brave enough to try the lemon juice and taste how sour it was (Nathan just smelled it).
After the sour, we did an experiment with sweet by adding sugar and water, and making of course, lemonade!





It was a "fun" day...have I mentioned I love teaching my kids!

No comments: