Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Back at it & Nathan goes to school: A lesson in trust.

So...It's been over a year since I've written here.  It's funny how a year goes by.  It's okay, I don't think anyone has missed this blog and the last thing the world needs right now is another blog.  But, I've decided that this year, I'd like to give it another try.  Perhaps I  need it.  I've had many hard times through the past year-and-a-half since my mom passed away and so many moments I don't want to relive.  However, God has been showing me His mercy and goodness.  By faith I continue to move forward.  Though the brokenness of this world and the affects of sin are more real to me now, so is the truth that Jesus is Victor and redemption wins out.

We continue to live life.  This year will be unique for us.  Nathan has entered the public school system (eeks) as a second grader while Ella will continue to do school at home as a first grader.  Addie will have a more structured school year, at home, as she will be five in October.  Ella and Addie are also doing Classical Conversations.  It's a classical Christian homeschool group that meets once per week, but will also dictate much of our school work the other days.  I will post more about that as we begin our meetings and school work in September.  But, it feels we are jumping with both feet into two pools, and I'm eager to see how this year will shape and mold decisions we make regarding education in the future.
 
We are also starting some more serious home renovations.  I want to post those too.  To remember our progress and see how we've improved our home.  Hopefully it won't be all that's improved this year.

This time, I focus on Nathan.  We decided to have him repeat second grade since he has a summer birthday.  He is also going to an accelerated school, so he will be able to work at the appropriate math and reading levels, and not just be confined to "second grade" work.  This was the main reason we felt good about holding him back.  Academically he could definitely move on, but we saw it as wise to let him grow and mature another year.  Another year at home with Nathan seemed like an advantage too.  Our kids are young yet, but I'm in no means excited to have them graduated and gone!  (Ask me again in 10 years though:)  Here he is on his first day of school.  A little nervous, but totally excited!



 (2 for second grade)
 
The first week has gone well for Nathan. He is a rock star and has mainly adjusted with no issues. The only issue Matt and I have had is with his personal choices for reading material. I would like to write that Nathan naturally gravitates towards poetry and all the classic children's literature out there...but that would be a lie. Most of his reading time was spent with Captain Underpants. I'm sure lots of kids read it and love it, but it just didn't seem like a productive way for Nathan to spend his time and fill his mind. He since is making better choices :)
 
Here he is with a couple classmates waiting for the bell to ring.

 
 
The week may have been more challenging for me. I hated giving up all that control to a lady I'd never met before. All of sudden someone else was choosing his curriculum and spending the day with him. I just wanted to tell her, "This is Nathan, and he's really special so take extra good care of him. Get to know him, he's wonderful!" But praise God for peace and a willingness to trust Him, (and self-control so I didn't look like a crazy lady).   He has led us down this path and He is good.
Look at all those kids though.  Nathan's class has 27 students!  Way too many for my comfort level (trust, breathe, it's going to be okay).  His teacher, Mrs. Ivey is at the head of the line and admittedly doing a fine job so far.
 


I've also seen lots of good things happening this week.  Matt and Nathan eat breakfast together and do a devotional every morning.  Nathan even gets to ride in the truck, something much coveted for all the kids.  We also spend more time intentionally praying for him, and the girls look forward to picking him up.  I'm sure that as the year goes on (and even now) I could make a list of negatives, but we'll deal with them as they arise and continue to humbly bring them to the Lord.  Praise God He is leading this adventure!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Excited to hear how the year goes for Nathan! Tyler was obsessed with Captain Underpants and Diary of a Wimpy kid his whole 2nd grade year. Thankfully that phase passed ;)

April said...

Thanks Gin! I'm glad to hear that reading tastes can progress!