Monday, November 10, 2014

Apple Orchard.

I can hear the wind whistling outside and see the evidence of the "white stuff" here and there.  Granted it's November and winter must come sometime, but it always catches all of us off guard.  So, today I think back to only a few short weeks ago when we picked apples in our short sleeves!

We were blessed with a haul of apples both from a friend and from my Dad (and don't forget we harvested one ourselves).  However, we eat about six apples a day here, so we go through them pretty quickly.  I snagged up an online deal for a local orchard and we were able to get about 50 lbs more (in two different trips).

Ready to go!


It was a short walk to the trees.  Evelyn rode in the wagon most of the way, until Nathan and Ella took off (literally) running for the trees.  She then was all about pulling the wagon.  She pulled the wagon around most of the time while we were picking. 


It was getting towards the end of the season.  The apples were still good, but there were a lot on the ground.  
Nathan is more about tree climbing than apple picking, although he was able to do both.

Monkey see, monkey do!


Here's Ella doing likewise.  

I like this shot because it shows how short these trees are.  So, when I say tree climbing, it's more like tree stepping into.

Still going with the wagon.  


It pulls a little harder when loaded with apples.  I think this is also about the same time Ella and Addie bailed for the port-a-potty.

This tractor made me think of my dad.  He's always been a simple, humble man with a heart for a good, old tractor.


We have a rule when picking apples.  Everyone must eat one to make sure they're good.  But, just one...don't get greedy!


Always love to look at all the bins of pumpkins and gourds.  Each season is full of its own blessings.  



Once we were finished picking apples, we decided to walk near the other end of the orchard.  They have a barn with ponies, goats and chickens.  My kids have never been much into animals (meaning they are very much afraid), but they have been making great improvements in the last 6 months...or so I thought.
There was one crazy black goat that was out (and you couldn't put it back in because I saw it jump over the fence).  He was mainly just walking around minding his own business and letting some other little girl feed him apples.  Nathan and Ella were cool, but Evelyn and Adeline definitely did not like this goat being so free about them.  It was high anxiety with lots of clinging.  I convinced them however, to sit on some hay to take a photo.  It's safe I assured them, the goat isn't over here.  About the time everyone was seated, the goat got bored with before mentioned little girl and decided to trot (though not aggressively) to see what we had for him.  He then jumped up on the hay stacks about 15 feet away from where they were sitting.  Oh. my. word.  You would have thought someone was chasing my children with a chainsaw. 

Ella, who is actually now quite fond of animals, tried to distract the goat away from Evelyn and Adeline (both of whom I was holding), and the other girl there tried to chase it away also.  It was very heroic!

After all that, I didn't get the original photo on the hay like I wanted.  However, Nathan and Ella were willing to try it again, and Addie even participated with some convincing.  Evelyn, not so much.

You see how Ella has her hand on Addie's knee?  It was a mix of "it's going to be ok, I'm here with you", and "You're not going to run away".  She'll be a good mom someday! :)

And of course, when apple picking you wear your red high heals.


These are her most beloved shoes.  We may have to get her a new pair.  There's no way these fit anymore, but she doesn't want to give them up!

No comments: