Monday, January 5, 2015

Christmas on the Farm.

 One more Christmas post...this may be the last!
Our family had been building up to Christmas for so long, and on Wednesday December 24th it was finally here.  Growing up we always got together with my dad's side, the Widmans, on Christmas Eve and then that evening we did our immediate family Christmas.  Christmas morning we usually drove to Sioux Falls to celebrate with my mom's family, the Garners.  I loved going to the Garners for Christmas, but there was something special about just our little family of 6 being together Christmas Eve night that always made that my favorite (and honestly it likely had something to do with presents...my mom was big into presents!)
Still, for the Widmans Christmas Eve is the big day.  It definitely looks a little different now since we've all multiplied, but it's still one of my most favorite days of the year.
Though we don't need to travel far, and we only spend one night, getting ready to go is a big chore.  Christmas Eve morning I got all my food ready (2 appetizers for dinner that night and a salad for lunch).  Cookies and other goodies were already baked and at my dad's!  

Evelyn is always right where the actions is.


Because our family has grown (I count 49, give or take, if every one is there), the matriarchs and patriarchs of the family have decided it's too crowed and too much work to meet at someone's home.  So, for the past several years we've met at the American Legion hall.  My kids cannot get this name right though...they call it the union, the pavilion, the region, or the pancake house (we went to a pancake feed there one time about four years ago).  It's not as warm and cozy as a home, but after you do something for so long it becomes comfortable.  It seems bizarre, but I'll always have warm thoughts about the Legion and associate it with love and family.

The kids do a name exchange and so they all get one gift at the Widman Christmas.  The adults do a white elephant gift exchange.  Gifts can range from practical to humorous.

Uncle Rog, who may or may not get the concept of white elephant, received this beautiful wig.


Matt received a white elephant re-gift from cousin Ross.  It's a journal with Ryan someone on the cover.  It's titled "Hey girl", and every page has a quote like "Hey girl, let's snuggle."  Here Matt is reading Ross' journal entries dated 12-24-2013 and 12-24-2014.  
It's classic.


There's one other boy second cousin that is similar in age to Nathan named Stran. They usually get each other's name.  They did again this year.  Nathan got Legos....score!


We eat, we exchange gifts, and we sit around talking or playing games.   I'm so thankful to have so many members of my extended family that are nearby.

Here's a group from the Andersen family.


Ninja Turtles were very popular this year.  
Here's Evelyn learning about TMNT from Jacob and Miles.

I don't think it's an official Widman get-together until someone plays Spoons.  No blood was drawn this year.

Matt, Nathan, and Stran decided to take the Jenga challenge.  It was Ella's gift.  I like that Nathan is also sitting with my sister's white elephant gift...a black purse and beautiful gold chain.

There are bonuses about meeting at the Legion, such as gavels and flags.  There's also a plethora of fly swatters and the potential to play some serious bingo.

At 4:00 we go to the Christmas Eve church service, and from there we head to the farm.  It's a busy time of getting food ready (because we need more food, right/?) bringing in suitcases and of course, changing into pajamas.

Nathan and Micah love their gaming time, so that is what they chose to do.


Evelyn has always adored my dad.  She's definitely Papa's girl.  You can also get a glimpse of the new recliner all of us girls (and our husbands) bought my Dad for Christmas.
 (You may have noticed Homer Santa...he's becoming a regular attender to Widman Christmas also.)

Still gaming...


Matt took this (terrible) photo of me.  Though it's not a great shot of yours truly, it does show the fullness of the counters.  I'm doing dishes to make more space.  I think my sister Brenda was even doing laundry (hence the open closet door behind me).  

(Besides Spoons and Homer Santa, wine is also essential at Widman Christmas).  :)

The house is filled with people and presents, (and usually some yelling and/or crying).
It's almost the way it should be; there's just one recliner we wish wasn't empty.  My mom was so good at Christmas.  She made everyone feel loved.  Her presence will always be missed.


The cousins all draw names.  There are ten of them total so they each get one cousin gift.  My dad gets each child gifts also (he enlists us to do some of the shopping for him).  My sister's and I exchange gifts with each other too, but the husbands get to just observe and take it in.
Nathan got a RC helicopter that he loves, Ella got some books and shoes for her doll, Addie got an "American Girl" doll (from Target), and Evelyn got a stuffed penguin.  There were other gifts too of course, just too much to write down!  I think the most popular gift ended up being the $5 skeins of yarn I bought for Ella and Addie.

The tricky part of doing Christmas together is different views of Santa.  We've always (or almost always) been honest with our children about "the man in the suit".  We've taught them about Saint Nicholas, and how he gave gifts to those in need to show God's love.  We've told them that now people like to continue to give gifts in secret from Santa as a fun tradition.  We do get our kids a gift from Santa because all of their cousins (who believe in Santa) will get a gift from him Christmas morning.  (Yes, we've also talked with them about being respectful and non-argumentative to other cousins!)
However, every year when in the moment of putting out cookies and milk they get caught up in the excitement and think maybe he's real.  This year there was even a Santa-tracker!  I definitely do not want to be the mom to spoil Christmas cheer, but the anxiety level was getting high for some.  So, when we laid our kids down to bed, we had to go through all the truth about Santa, in a gentle, loving, Christ-honoring (I hope) kind of way.  I should be clear that if families choose to "do Santa", I'm completely okay with that.  We have just chosen not to, and it worked out for the best because we have one child who is especially a little anxious and wouldn't sleep knowing that a strange man was coming into house in the middle of the night.  (I should also add that if my kids flat out ask me if Santa is real, I can't seem to tell them no.  I usually skirt the question by talking about St. Nicholas and Christmas traditions, which may be why they get confused!)

Christmas morning came and all was well.  Everyone (dad's included) received gifts in their stockings.  The children were very excited to find all their little treasures.

Evelyn was most excited about a candy cane filled with Skittles.


We used to head out to Matt's family in Minnesota on Christmas morning, but the past few years we've met with them on the most convenient weekend near Christmas.  So, we were able to spend the day with my dad again.  My sister Brenda and her family stayed as well, and we had a lovely Christmas dinner of turkey and the fixings.  
The kids played with new toys and even got outside to play in the newly fallen Christmas Day snow.  We headed back home that afternoon since Matt worked the next day, and Christmas on the farm was officially over.  
Again, I'm so thankful that our whole family could be together...I know that's a luxury not many people have.  Our Christmas may not always be perfect, (we are not perfect), but we love each other!

No comments: