Monday, June 13, 2011

In the Garden

By now it's been a few weeks-but on May 19th we got our seeds in the dirt. Well, when I say "we" I mean Matt and our friend Jim (the night we went to plant someone else has planted in our plot! So, Matt went back the next day and did it after work). It was great timing because then it rained all weekend.
After all the rain and it warmed up a little (though not a lot), the kids and I went out to plant the tomatoes and the peppers. We planted 6 tomato plants, 1 red pepper, 1 green pepper...and 1 basil.


Here's Ella working on getting a tomato in the ground.




Matt and Nathan doing the same. I'm hoping the tomatoes are successful and I'll get my first try at canning!



Working together: Gardening with a 4, 3, and 1-year old is not always easy or productive, but I do try to keep it a positive experience. (That being said, I did yell at Ella for stepping where seeds were planted, which resulted in much crying. I forget how sensitive and affected by words she is...odd since I am the same way!)

I'm so glad they all love it! Since this day, we've been back to plant some flowers (a requirement of the city for having a community plot or I wouldn't have done it), weed once and water twice.


Ella especially is our little gardener...she seems to care the most about the actual plants and not just being in the dirt (or in Nathan's case running the hose).


Do you notice that they all have boots on? Another requirement was to lay down 3 bags of manure fertilizer...the garden looks and smells extra fresh!




No comments: