Sunday, July 28, 2013

7.

Calling all Super Heroes!
We've had one more birthday in the house! 
It wasn't really planned, but somehow we were blessed with a Winter baby (Ella), a Spring baby (Evelyn), a Summer baby (Nathan), and a Fall baby (Addie).  So, 'tis the season to celebrate Nathan's birthday!
Nathan just turned the  big 7.  This fall he will be starting 2nd grade...yikes!
His original party theme was Avengers.  Upon going to Target, he changed it to Justice League, and then later that night decided it would be both Justice League and Avengers.  I believe his actual words that night were, "Mom, I hate to tell you this, but I've changed my mind..."  Oh well, this was a good chance for me to actually learn who was an Avenger or Justice League member...valuable information I'm sure!
 
We did a simple, yet multiple tiered cake featuring Justice League members.  When it comes to cake I do all the baking, designing, making of frosting, frosting the cake...and then it's midnight and I can't make the Superman symbol to save my life.  Thus enters Matt.  Matt's super power is doing anything he puts his mind to.  In this case it was making a Superman and a Batman symbol.  I did the Green Lantern.
 
 
For Nathan's birthday we've always grilled.  So simple and fun for hot July days.  This year we tried to do a little bit of a theme, but the food doesn't change much year to year (hamburgers, hot dogs, watermelon, chips, veggies, etc.).
 
These were a big hit with the kids:  Thor's hammers.
 

 
We also had a lot of "Super" foods! 
(mainly in the form of berries & carrots)
 
 
Here's the spread:


 
This is what you get when you ask a 7 year old to stand by his cake for a picture.  Super Hero pose of course.
 
 
I can't believe how grown-up looking Nathan is getting.  I look at him and it makes me want to stop time for a little bit...can't he just stay little!  At the same time I am amazed at the person he is becoming.  Nathan is kind, brilliant, and still ever so passionate.  I'm so excited to see what God has in store for him!
 

 
 
Lunch time!  It was extra special this year because the Klein cousins made it!
 
The kids were put to task in the morning to decorate.  Well done.
 
Following lunch we of course sang and then devoured the cake.
 

 
Then present time!
Nathan really loves to receive gifts, like any time anywhere.  So, his birthday is especially exciting.  He talks for months about what he wants for his birthday.  He had a few Lego requests this year.  Here he is with a Lone Ranger set from Grammy (Matt's mom).  He also got some "cool" clothes (like a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles t-shirt), a disc golf set, Darth Vader slippers, Target $, Star Wars water bottle, and other things I'm forgetting about.
 
We love you Nathan, our first born.  You are still our baby boy, and yet we see you ever-changing before our eyes.  You often say and do things that simply amaze us-we know you are special, and God has great things planned for you.  We are thankful for the privilege we have to call you our son!


No comments: