Monday, October 12, 2015

A Wonder-fall Wreath.

Isn't this weather wonder-fall!
(my niece made up that word and I thought it was clever).

In the spirit of Autumn, I decided to get crafty and make a wreath.
 
My poor door is usually not decorated and left to bare its 1980s facade.  I love, love wreaths, but they are so, so expensive.  So, I took Matt's advice and "just made one myself".
 
sidenote: Matt has this amazing ability to make things that require real skills  himself.  A gift I'm quite thankful for.

So, after a quick visit to Pinterest I found a few inspirations (what did we do before Pinterest?).  
 
I really wanted something colorful to pop against the door, but I also liked the texture of burlap.  
I decided to combine the elements and came up with this:



In general I like the outcome.  
My biggest critique is that it looks a little more "country" than I normally like.  I think if I would have off-centered the "T" that would've help.  It also doesn't look as colorful as I would like from the street, but what to do...

It was super easy to make, and way less expensive than just buying a wreath!
  
I purchased a metal wreath form,
 
.Box Style Wreath Frame 


burlap, artificial leaves/flowers, floral wire, and a metal T. The burlap just weaves in and out between the wires and around the wreath.  It's pretty easy to work with.  The stuff I bought had a funny, chemical-like smell that I didn't love, but I'm not sure if that's normal.  Then I attached some of the leaves with floral wire and others I hot-glued...then, viola!

This project sat in my living room for almost a week waiting to be finished, but actual hands on time was only about an hour and a half.  So it could easily be done in an afternoon (well, after I typed that I realized that nothing gets easily done in an afternoon around here...).

Here's to completed projects!  Now to just finish painting the house...

No comments: