Friday, October 3, 2014

Mallows, Markets, & Tulips...(oh my!)

This past weekend was beautiful.  Sunny, low breeze, and about 90 degrees...but not a hot humid summer 90, just a nice 90.  Since in South Dakota the nice weekends are numbered once mid-September hits, we wanted to spend time outside and together.  
(In fact, as I write this it is very windy and 45 degrees!)
 
Friday night after grilling burgers for dinner, we let the briquettes stay hot for roasting marshmallows.  We even bought peanut butter cups for smores deluxe.  Unfortunately this is the only photo I could get, because it was already dark out.  Days are definitely getting shorter!
 


Following smores and perhaps an extra mallow, we played hide and seek.  The kids thought it was a lot of fun to run around and hide in the dark.  In the daytime our backyard has about two good hiding spots, so it was nice to be able to actually hide and have to work to find people!
 
Saturday the beautiful weather continued.  Since we only made it to the Farmer's Market a couple of times this season, we decided to head there for breakfast.
It is the perfect time of year to go.  Everything seems to be at its peak, the selection is great, and the colors and smells are amazing.
 
That being said, we bought breakfast pizza and cinnamon rolls.
 



I told Matt I felt like we junked out at the farmer's market.  His reply was that nothing we ate was junk.  He's right, it was all very delicious.  And the pizza did have onions and peppers on it...
 


I spent the rest of the morning in to the afternoon working on our front landscaping.  I planted three coneflower plants (that were already passed their prime) and a little over a dozen tulip bulbs.  Nothing great looking yet, but hopefully the work will pay off next Spring and Summer.
 
I planted a regular purple coneflower as well as a cantaloupe and a raspberry one.
 

 
 
 

So far I've also planted two different types of tulips. 
A double tulip with a mix of orange and pink as well as regular pink tulips. 
 
 
Tulips are my favorite flower.  The only thing I don't like about them is that their bloom is so short.  But, we're hoping to mix them in with a few other plants.  There is still lots of planting that needs to be done!
 
Here's my helper Ella.
 
Here's the proof for next Spring...

Evelyn volunteered to help water the new plantings. 
Like I said previously, it was pretty hot this day.  Water breaks were necessary!
 



No comments: