Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Small group Christmas.

Our first chance to celebrate Christmas with others was with our small group from church.  I don't have a lot of photos from this event, but I thought this would give me a chance to express how much I love these people.

Our leader's family hosted and provided the pizza.  The rest of us brought side items (we brought dessert).  I believe there are 6 families in our small group (5 of whom were present at the party)...a total of 12 adults and 18 children!

 

The night was casual with plenty to eat, followed by a white elephant gift exchange.  (The kids spent a lot of the night playing in the basement).

We're so thankful to have such good friends, not only for us but for our children as well.  When we started going to our church, these are the people that invited us into our homes.  Everyone in our age group is busy with their small children and work schedules, but somehow these are the people who noticed we were new and took time to befriend us.  These are the kids our kids play with.  These are the people I call when I need help with childcare during the day.  These are the people who see me cry the most.  These are the people I ask for prayer.  These are the people who challenge my faith  (with their strong witness I cannot remain "warm and comfortable").  These are the people who came to my mom's visitation though they never met her, and then gave us  meals big enough to not just feed my family but my sister's family as well.  I could go on and one...I love these people.  
 (There are other awesome people in our church...but they can't all be in our small group.)

This night was about Christ, fellowship, and fun!  
It's funny how "white elephant" was a challenge for our group.  We had to discuss it privately, as to what does it mean.  No one wanted to bring a gift that wasn't "nice", but then go home with a nice gift.  So, gifts
ranged from disposable storage containers to "poo-pourri" to cereal.  One member of our group, Kaya, had extra yarn around and so decided to crochet it together for a blanket as her white elephant gift.  I could not just whip this up. If I ever completed it, it would likely have to be a cherished family heirloom of something mom made.  
 We didn't get to bring it home, but Matt had to try it out.


We did however get to bring home the Ulu knife.  Matt was very pleased with this, and if he needs to cut something in the kitchen this is now his go-to knife.  I cannot say the same however.


So, thanks awesome church family! 
When we moved to Sioux Falls, I prayed for some good friends (since it felt like we were starting over in the friendship department).  I'm so thankful for how God has answered those prayers.

No comments: