Thursday, May 14, 2015

It is Well: Meaningful DIY

  I haven't posted about any projects lately, and there are actually a couple that we've completed (somewhat) recently.  Matt has done a larger scale project in the garage to increase our storage (which I'll have to blog about because it's awesome) as well as a few things outside.  

I've done a couple of smaller weekend projects inside the house.

For a long time I've wanted the words "It is Well With My Soul" somewhere in my house.   I love the words to this old hymn.  In fact it was during a church service in March 2001 when the Holy Spirit used this hymn to convict me that it was not well with my soul.  That day I decided to quit living for myself and start living for Jesus.

I want to decorate our home with things that are meaningful, so I was looking for a way to display these words in a way that would hopefully look not bad.  I decided to place them at the bottom of our stairs where they would be seen often.

I don't remember if I searched Pinterest or if a few ideas just showed up on my page.  Anyway there were a couple of different ideas that I particularly liked.

I loved the gold in this first idea.  I also liked that it was three-dimensional and not in another frame since I just hung a bunch of those.

(found here).

I also pinned this version, which is actually the same idea, just executed in a slightly different way.
 
 (found here).

My final design fell somewhere in the middle of these two ideas, but I was definitely more influenced by the first photo.  I loved the gold.

So, I went and bought all the letters at Michaels.  

That sentence was so easy to type, not as easy to do.  This simple step required three trips to Michaels!  I've now learned that Michaels only likes to have about one L and W in stock at a time.  I've also learned that they receive shipments on Tuesdays. So, you may just want to go on Wednesday and do this in one trip. Or if you're feeling extravagant pay the $6 in shipping and order online.

I also purchased some gold acrylic paint.  I went with acrylic because it was cheap.  A bottle was around $1.50 instead of $8 for a bottle of spray paint.  I was after all buying 18 letters at $2.50 a pop.

I was excited about the gold, the letters looked good (I just did a couple to test), but on the wall I wasn't sold.  Since we still have some '80's detailing here and we have gray walls  I decide gold was not the right fit. 

So, I painted them white.  Not as exciting, but clean and simple.
It then took one trip to Target (okay maybe two because I didn't count the letters) for Command strips, and it was time to hang.


I'm open to opinions.  I think it turned out okay, but not as well as I hoped.  Maybe it seems a little off balance to me, like something else need to be with it.  Or maybe "It Is" should be on one line?
 

Maybe it's ironic that it isn't well with me how this turned out?!  

This photo below helps show where it is in relation to the rest of the wall.


 Regardless of how it looks, I still love these words and I'm glad they're up.
  These words help remind me that no matter what circumstances are going on around me, these pains are temporary.  Jesus has paid the price for my sins, and I can experience peace like a river knowing that my eternal fate is sealed.

I couldn't end this post without including the words to this hymn.  
 If you haven't read them, you should.  If you have, read them again!
 
        1. When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
          When sorrows like sea billows roll;
          Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
          It is well, it is well with my soul.
          • Refrain:
            It is well with my soul,
            It is well, it is well with my soul.
        2. Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
          Let this blest assurance control,
          That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
          And hath shed His own blood for my soul.
        3. My sin—oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!—
          My sin, not in part but the whole,
          Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
          Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!
        4. For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
          If Jordan above me shall roll,
          No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
          Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.
        5. But, Lord, ’tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
          The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
          Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
          Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul!
        6. And Lord, haste the day when the faith shall be sight,
          The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
          The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
          Even so, it is well with my soul.

No comments: