Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day 2015.

Today we remembered those who have gone to glory before us.

Since we have moved back to South Dakota, we've spent Memorial Day morning at the De Smet Cemetery with the Widmans.  We visit the grave stones of family members, and the American Legion does a short program to honor those who have lost their lives fighting for our country and her freedoms.


I pray my children will have a spirit of reverence and gratitude for those who have laid down their lives to fight for our country. 


It is still so sobering to visit my mom's grave.  
I don't need Memorial Day to honor her...I think of her every day.


Her grave stone is on the left and my grandparents' is on the right.  My dad is very careful  to the area surrounding my mom's headstone.  He's become sort of the grounds keeper planting and fertilizing grass and picking up sticks.  He placed some planters next to the headstone that will stay out there until winter.   He also made a metal heart (that you can't see all of in the photo) with some solar lights, so that it is lit at night time. 
It's beautiful and he does a great job.

I don't know why, but it seems that Memorial Day is always cloudy and cool, often rainy.

This year was no exception.   


I took this photo from the van as we were leaving the cemetery.  Though sunshine would have felt nice, the landscape was a mix of my favorite colors: green, blue, and grey.

God is so glorious.


No comments: